(b Dijon, Oct 7, 1591; d Paris, Sept 28, 1669).
French architect, military engineer and writer. He was born of good Dijon stock (‘d’épée et de robe’)—his father Philippe was a provincial guardsman in the Burgundy artillery corps. He drew closer to his artisan and contractor contemporaries, Jacques Le Mercier, François Mansart and Louis Le Vau, when in 1631 he married Marie Autissier, daughter of one of the foremost building contractors of the time, Jean Autissier (d 1632).
Le Muet’s career as ‘Architecte Ordinaire du Roi et Commis aux fortifications de Picardie’ falls into two contrasting stages. In 1616, as Architecte du Roi, he was paid for a model of the Palais du Luxembourg. From 1617 he was a military engineer, and it is in this capacity that he seems to have been preoccupied until 1637 (a collection of plans of the fortified places in Picardy, 1631, is in Paris, Bib. Arsenal, MS. 4517; there are works at Péronne and Corbie, Somme, ...