This legal notice is specific to this website (“Website”) and overrides any other legal notices appearing elsewhere on Oxford University Press websites.By using the Website, you are agreeing to the practices set out in this statement.
You may access certain parts of the Website without registering or providing OUP with your details.
As the information on the Website may be incomplete, out of date or inaccurate and may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors, Oxford University Press (“OUP”, “we”, “us” or “our”) reserve the right to update the Website at our sole discretion. Thus, such information may be changed or updated without notice.
We reserve the right to make changes to this legal notice. Any changes we may make to this legal notice will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, we will also notify you by e-mail. Certain provisions of this legal notice may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages of the Website.
Usernames and Passwords
Where you have registered on the Website and have been provided with a username and password, you agree not to make available your username and/or password to anyone. If there has been a disclosure of your username and/or password, you agree to notify us promptly of such disclosure so that OUP can take appropriate security measures and to provide you with a new username and password.
Under the license to access restricted content on the Website accepted by a subscriber (which may be you as an individual or an institution to which you are affiliated) you are permitted to:
- search, view, retrieve, and display portions of restricted content
- electronically save portions of restricted content; and/or
- print out single copies of portions of restricted content
in each case, subject to any specific restrictions which appear on particular pages of the Website. Under the license accepted by the subscriber, you may not:
- remove or alter the copyright notices or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear on the Website;
- systematically make printed or electronic copies of multiple extracts of Grove Art or Benezit for any purpose except as permitted by law or as authorised by OUP;
- display or distribute any restricted content on any electronic network, including without limitation on the Internet and the World Wide Web (other than the institution’s secure network, where the subscriber is an institution);
- permit anyone to access or use restricted content (other than other users authorized by the institution, where the subscriber is an institution); and/or
- use any content on the Website whether restricted content or otherwise for any commercial use.
If you sign up to receive newsletters or subscribe to our web feed you may only use the material sent to you for non-commercial use. You may not:
- remove or alter the copyright notices or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear in the material sent to you;
- systematically make printed or electronic copies of multiple extracts of the material for any purpose except as permitted by law or as authorised by OUP;
- display or distribute any part of the material on any electronic network, including without limitation the Internet and the World Wide Web;
- permit anyone to access or use the material; and/or
- use all or any part of the material for any commercial use.
Your card will be automatically charged each month until you cancel your subscription.
Intellectual Property Rights
We and/or our licensors are the owners of all intellectual property rights in the Website, and the Website and the materials on the Website are protected by intellectual property laws around the world including copyright and trade mark laws. Subject to the terms of this legal notice and any other license agreements between you and OUP, all such rights are reserved and no materials may otherwise be copied, modified, published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without our prior written permission. OUP, Oxford and/or any other names of products or services provided by Oxford University Press and referred to on the Website are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Oxford University Press.
Notwithstanding the foregoing and where applicable, copyright in each illustration that appears on the Website is owned by the rights holder(s) named in ‘Picture Details’ window for that illustration. All rights are reserved. No illustration from the Website may be copied, modified, published or broadcast or otherwise distributed.
Oxford University Press makes no warranties or representations of any kind concerning the accuracy or suitability of the information contained on the Website for any purpose. All such information is provided “as is” and with a specific disclaimer of any warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose, title and/or non-infringement. Oxford University Press makes no warranties or representations of any kind that the services provided by this Website will be uninterrupted, error-free or that the Website or the server that hosts the Website are free from viruses or other forms of harmful computer code.
You are solely responsible for your choice in selecting this Website product.
In no event shall Oxford University Press, its employees or agents be liable for any direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of opportunity, loss of data, loss of goodwill, loss of anticipated savings or loss of profits resulting from the use of the Website even if OUP has been advised of such loss.
Without prejudice to the foregoing paragraph, OUP's liability arising out of or in connection with your use of the Website and/or this legal notice whether in contract, tort, misrepresentation, under statute or otherwise will not exceed the price you paid for your subscription to access this Website.
Neither party's liability for personal injury or death caused by negligence or for fraud is excluded or limited.
The exclusion and limitation set out in this legal notice only applies to the extent permitted by law and is without prejudice to any express provisions to the contrary in any written license or subscription agreement which you have with Oxford University Press in respect of the use of any online service provided via the Website.
Links to other websites are provided by OUP in good faith and for information only. OUP disclaims any responsibility for the materials contained in any website linked to the Website. In addition, a link to a non-OUP website does not mean that OUP endorses or accepts any responsibility for the content, or the use, of such website or the products and/or services offered on such website. It is up to you to take precautions to ensure that whatever you select for your use is free of such items as viruses, worms, trojans and other items of a destructive nature.
While we endeavor to ensure that the Website is normally available 24 hours a day, we shall not be liable if for any reason the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period.
Access to the Website may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond our control.
You are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from the Website any material:
- that is threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, seditious, offensive, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, menacing, scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous, in breach of confidence, in breach of privacy or which may cause annoyance or inconvenience;
- for which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals;
- which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of or infringe the rights of any third party, in any country in the world; or
- which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data).
You may not misuse the Website (including, without limitation, by hacking).
Global Nature of Websites
You recognize the global nature of the Website and thus, agree to comply with all applicable local laws in your jurisdiction when using the Website.
Information we publish on the Website may contain references or cross-references to our services and/or products offered that are not announced or available in your country. Such references do not imply that we intend to announce such services and/or products in your country.
You agree that this legal notice shall be exclusively governed in accordance with the laws of and the courts in England and Wales. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this legal notice will preclude OUP from applying to any court to bring an action for the infringement of its intellectual property rights.