(b Athens, Oct 29, 1925).
Greek sculptor and kinetic artist. From 1954 he worked in Paris, but in later years he divided his time between Paris and Athens. Self-taught as a sculptor, he first made pieces carved in wood (untraced) and plaster (e.g. see Calas and Calas, pp. 24–5), followed by abstractions from the human form, some in wrought iron, such as Sphinx (1953; see Calas and Calas, p. 24). From 1958 his main concern was with the use of magnetism and electromagnetism to create both visual effects and movement in kinetic sculptures such as the Télésculpture series (e.g. see Calas and Calas, pp. 106–8). These feature nails and other small metal objects at the ends of wires that appear to float in the air a short distance away from a magnet. The Signals series, which later inspired the name of a London art gallery and its journal, was initiated in the mid-1950s. The early ones are tall antennae made of one or more flexible metal stems, fixed on a small base and surmounted by a found metal object; later variants include the ...