1-2 of 2 results  for:

  • Medieval Art x
Clear all

Article

Lyn Rodley and Nicole Thierry

Region of central Anatolia, now in Turkey.

The region known in ancient times as Greater Cappadocia extends from Lake Tatta eastwards to the River Euphrates. It was bordered to the south by Cilicia, and to the north lay Pontus, which before the late 4th century bc had also formed part of Cappadocia. The region consists largely of a plateau divided by the Taurus and Antitaurus mountains, with volcanic areas in the west and around Erciyas Dağı (anc. Mt Argaeus) in the centre. Cappadocia has been continuously inhabited since prehistoric times, and during the 2nd millennium bc it was part of the Hittite empire. Conquered by the Persians in 585 bc, it was ruled during the 4th–1st centuries bc by the descendants of the satrap Ariarathes (b c. 404 bc). In ad 17 Cappadocia became a Roman province, with its capital at Caesarea (now Kayseri).

Material from the Greco-Roman period is mostly limited to funerary stelae of poor quality found at various sites, but an inventory of Greco-Roman necropoleis has revealed that there was continuity between the pagan and Christian population. The medieval development of ...

Article

Prespa  

N. Moutsopoulos

Region comprising two lakes, c. 30 km west of Florina, Greece: Great Prespa is shared between Albania, the Republic of Macedonia and Greece and Little Prespa between Albania and Greece. Among the region’s earliest known architectural remains are those belonging to the ancient city on the island of St Achilles in Little Prespa lake. It was from here that the four sons of comes Nicholas, otherwise known as the Cometopuli, led a full-scale revolt against Byzantine occupation of the Balkans in ad 976. The youngest brother, Samuel, continued the struggle from his island base until his death in 1014. His empire survived him by only a few years. A modern village lies near the site of his capital.

Samuel also established a patriarchal see on the island (c. 990–1000), of which the first patriarch was Germanos, formerly of Tǎrnovo (Bulgaria). The patriarchal church, which was dedicated to St Achilles, whose relics were transferred to there from Larissa ...