Show Summary Details

Page of

 Printed from Grove Art Online. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 14 November 2019

Uncastillo, S Maríalocked

  • J. R. L. Highfield

Extract

Former collegiate, now parish, church in Saragossa Province, Aragon, Spain. A church existed on the site by ad 934, to judge by a document of donation of the 10th century, but the present church was founded in 1135 with a grant of land by Ramiro II, King of Aragon (reg 1134–7). It was consecrated by Juan, Bishop of Pamplona, in 1246. The church, with a single-cell nave of seven bays, spanned by a pointed barrel vault, and an eastern apse, is notable for its Romanesque sculpture, especially that of the south portal. Dating from the mid-12th century, the sculpture shows the distant influence of St Pierre, Moissac (see Romanesque §III 1., (iii), (b)). On the north side of the nave is a Plateresque cloister with three chapels by Master Larrandi (1557). The lower of the two upper storeys added to the square south-west tower in the 15th century has machicolation and bartizan turrets; the top storey is octagonal, crowned by a pinnacled spire....

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.