Show Summary Details

Page of

 Printed from Grove Art Online. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 14 December 2019

Terry, Leonardlocked

(b Scarborough, Yorks [now N. Yorks], 1825; d Melbourne, June 23, 1884).
  • Miles Lewis

Extract

(b Scarborough, Yorks [now N. Yorks], 1825; d Melbourne, June 23, 1884).

Australian architect of English birth. He emigrated to Melbourne in 1853 and worked with the architect Charles Laing (d 1857). By 1856 he had his own practice, but on Laing’s death he took over his role and clientele, notably some of the major banks and the Church of England, of which he became Diocesan Architect (1860). His first commercial buildings were Sands & Kenny’s printing house (1856; remodelled by Terry, 1868), the Victoria Sugar Company Works at Sandridge, Port Melbourne (1857–9), and various handsome bluestone warehouses (c. 1857–8). For the warehouses especially he favoured a Renaissance Palazzo style, but by setting off the dark local stone against light cement dressings he created a distinctive effect. In his Melbourne Club (1858) he used the Palazzo style austerely but on a grand scale, with equally pretentious interior spaces; the later addition of a bay-windowed extension distorts the simple façade, and the scagliola columns and other interior decoration are painted over....

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.

Australian Dictionary of Biography (Melbourne, 1966–)