Show Summary Details

Page of

 Printed from Grove Art Online. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 21 October 2019

Ruggieri [Ruggeri], Ferdinandolocked

(b Florence, c. 1691; d ?Florence, June 27, 1741).

Extract

(b Florence, c. 1691; d ?Florence, June 27, 1741).

Italian architect and engraver. He was an assistant to Carlo Fontana, for whom he prepared drawings for the Palazzo Capponi (completed c. 1710), Florence. His first major commission was the remodelling of the façade (from c. 1715) of the oratory church of S Filippo Neri (or Chiesa Nuova), Florence, which forms part of the group of buildings known as S Firenze, owned by the Oratorians. The church had been begun in 1668 by Pierfrancesco Silvani, and Ruggieri’s façade has a strong Baroque form, with flanking pairs of Corinthian columns and a prominent segmental pediment. The uppermost parapet, featuring reversed halves of segmental pediments, is rich and complex, as is the entrance portal. The central element of the three-part façade, fronting the monastery, was designed later by Zanobi del Rosso (1724–98), who also duplicated Ruggieri’s church façade at the eastern end (1772–5) to provide a symmetrical composition. In ...

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.