- Richard J. Goy
[Carlo Amedeo; Carlo Antonio]
(b Susa, Piedmont, 1715; d Turin, 1804).
Italian architect, engraver and military engineer. He was a follower of Bernardo Antonio Vittone, the last leading exponent of the Baroque in Turin and Piedmont in the 18th century; both men inherited the traditions of Guarino Guarini (ii) and Filippo Juvarra and were active until the Neo-classical revival of the latter part of the century. Rana also taught mathematics at the artillery school in Turin from 1739 to 1780, and published texts on military architecture and a collection of stage designs (see A. E. Brinkmann: Theatrum novum Pedemontii, Turin, 1931). In the field of architecture he is best known for one major work, the beautiful, richly decorated parish church of SS Michele e Salutore del Rosario (c. 1763–c. 1781) in Strambino, Piedmont. Rana’s masterpiece was the result of a competition in which Vittone also submitted a proposal. Rana’s design appears to owe comparatively little directly to Vittone, although it belongs to the rich Piedmontese Baroque tradition. His involvement in the project extended to the smallest details, and his drawings survive in the parish archives. The church has a severe and imposing exterior, with a classical façade contrasting strongly with the rich, dynamic and spatially complex interior. Designed as a succession of spaces of contrasting form and scale, the interior has varying plan shapes and ceiling heights, although the overall axial progression towards the altar and reliquary chapel is strongly maintained....