[now Santa Severa]
Etruscan town on the Tyrrhenian coast c. 53 km north-east of Rome. It was one of the ports of Cerveteri (Caere) and thus an important centre for Etruscan trade and naval power in the Mediterranean. Pyrgi was inhabited from the Bronze Age, but its development as a port dates from the 7th–6th century bc. The Sanctuary of Leukothea (or Eileithyia) at Pyrgi has been excavated by the Institute of Etruscology at the University of Rome (1957–64). It was approached by a wide road (c. 10 m) from Cerveteri through a monumental entrance. The sanctuary was enclosed by a wall and bounded to the south by inlets from the sea.
Two temples, apparently dedicated to Uni (the Etruscan Juno), stood either side of a sacred area. Temple B, the older and smaller structure (c. 500 bc; c. 28×19 m) was peripteral with a pronaos and single cella, following Greek models. Finds from its site include numerous fine architectural terracottas, notably a terracotta relief plaque depicting the ...