Temple site in Uji, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan. It is the headquarters of the Ōbaku sect of Zen Buddhism and is important as a centre for the diffusion in Japan of Chinese arts of the Ming period (1368–1644). Many of its original buildings still stand.
In the mid-17th century, amid the upheaval following the fall of the Ming dynasty in China, monks of the Linji (Jap. Rinzai) sect of Zen (Chin. Chan) Buddhism from southern China (see Buddhism §III 10.) began emigrating to Japan, settling in Nagasaki, Kyushu, where a large Chinese community had gathered. In Japan they found the Rinzai sect well established, though with different religious orientations. In order to distinguish themselves from the Japanese sect, the Chinese monks called their sect Ōbaku (Chin. Huangbo), after Mt Huangbo in Fujian province, the site of their home temple, Wanfu si.
Yiran (Jap. Itsunen; 1601–68), abbot of Nagasaki’s Chinese temple Kōfukuji, invited the abbot of Wanfu si at Mt Huangbo, Yinyuan Longqi (Jap. ...