Show Summary Details

Page of

Printed from Grove Art Online. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

Subscriber: null; date: 26 January 2020

Krychevs’ky, Vasyl’ [Krichevsky, Vasily]locked

(b Vorozhba, Kharkiv province, Jan 12, 1873; d Caracas, Venezuela, Nov 15, 1952).
  • Myroslava M. Mudrak

Ukrainian architect, painter, illustrator and collector. He received no systematic artistic education and first became known because of his interest in Ukrainian folklore. His prizewinning design for the City Council building in Poltava (1900) formed the basis of a new style, founded on traditions of Ukrainian folk art, and initiated a movement in Ukrainian architecture. Among his other buildings are the People’s House in Lokhvitsa (1904) and the Shevchenko Memorial Museum in Kaniv (1931–4). As a painter, he was influenced by the French Impressionists. The pure, harmonious colours of his southern Ukrainian landscapes convey the lyrical atmosphere of his native land, and he took part in the annual exhibitions of the Union of Russian Watercolourists in St Petersburg (1899–1902) and in the exhibitions of Kiev painters (1910–13). Krychevsky was one of the founders of contemporary Ukrainian book design, reviving the technique of the woodcut and producing over 80 cover designs. He produced set and costume designs for 15 plays and operas in the Sadovs’ky Theatre in Kiev (1907–10) and in 1917–18 he worked with the Ukrainian National Theatre. His work reveals not only a tendency towards realism and attention to detail but also a love of the grotesque. During the Soviet period he worked as artistic consultant or artistic director on 12 films, including Taras Shevchenko (1926). He was a collector of Ukrainian folk art and followed William Morris in insisting on the importance of handmade objects, producing his own designs for ceramics, furniture and other items. He was founder and President of the Ukrainian State Academy of Arts. In 1943 he moved to L’vov (L’viv) where he was appointed rector of the new Ukrainian Art School. After World War II he went to Paris, then emigrated to South America.

Writings

  • ‘Pro rozuminnya ukrains’koho stylyu’ [An analysis of Ukrainian style], Syayvo (1914), no. 3
  • ‘Budynok, de zhyv T. H. Shevchenko u Kyïvi’ [The building where T. H. Shevchenko lived in Kiev], Ukraïna (1925), nos 1–2
  • ‘Arkhitektura doby’ [The architecture of the age], Chervonyy shlyakh (1928), no. 3

Bibliography

  • V. Chechelik: ‘Mayster korablya arkhitekturnoho vidrodzhennya’ [The master of the ship of architectural revival], Arkhitektura Ukrainy (1991), no. 5, pp. 33–9