(b Melbourne, Dec 15, 1923).
Australian architect, teacher and writer. He studied at the University of Sydney (BArch 1951) and in 1955 became a partner in McConnel, Smith & Johnson. Early work included his own house (1963) at Chatswood, Sydney, integrated with its steep, wooded site and built with exposed timber and brick (see also Sydney school). McConnel, Smith & Johnson emphasized a team approach to architecture, which Johnson saw as a social art with buildings and spaces designed to serve users’ needs, take account of context and fulfil explicit aesthetic aims. This philosophy is expressed in the firm’s early interest in environmental design and energy conservation, seen in the Water Board headquarters (1965), Sydney, and its innovative use of concrete cladding panels for solar protection. The Commonwealth State Law Courts (1977), Sydney, a 26-storey steel frame structure inserted into an historic and old-established legal district, was designed after a lengthy research process involving both the client and the public. Other key projects included the Benjamin Offices (...