- Géza Entz
Hungarian friar and architect. He was head of a Late Gothic workshop in Transylvania, where he was sent by King Matthias Corvinus on 18 Jan 1490 to take charge of building the Minorite house founded by the King at his birthplace, Cluj-Napoca (Ger. Klausenburg; Hung. Kolozsvár). Known as Frater Johannes, he was presumably a Franciscan. Johannes’s workshop is perhaps the most clearly identifiable building organization in Hungary. It demonstrates how the mendicant orders persisted with traditional building methods after Renaissance styles had become fashionable in the royal court of Buda.
The particular form of construction at Cluj-Napoca (the articulation of the nave by means of four pairs of strongly projecting buttresses), the details of the vaulting and the western double portal are distinctive features of the workshop, whose activity can be traced in the Dominican friary (now a music school) at Cluj-Napoca, in the Franciscan church at Mediaş (Ger. Mediasch; Hung. Medgyes) and in the vaulting of the nave of the parish (now Calvinist) church at Dej (Hung. Dés). The details (finely formed corbels in the choir, the scrollwork of the surrounds to the openings) are evidence of a direct relationship with the Late Gothic architectural centres at Buda and Visegrád, which probably reached Transylvania through Stefan Báthori, the voivode of Transylvania, at Nyirbátor (Minorite church and the parish church of St George)....