- Kim W. Woods
(fl 1428; d 1463/4).
South Netherlandish bronze-founder. He is documented in Brussels from 1428, when he became a town councillor. He held the offices of receiver in 1435, churchwarden of Notre-Dame-la-Chapelle in 1438 and 1450, and surveyor of the forests of Soigne (1443) and Brabant (1457–9). In 1450 he was asked to advise Philip the Good, 3rd Duke of Burgundy, on the practicability of diverting a stream from the village of Anderlecht to supply the Coudenberg Palace in Brussels. In 1454 and 1458 he received payments for two royal tombs commissioned by Philip the Good. The first was that of Louis de Mâle, Count of Flanders (d 1384), destined for St Pierre, Lille. It included effigies of Louis, his wife Margaret of Brabant and their daughter Margaret of Flanders (Philip the Good’s grandmother). The tomb was destroyed during and after the French Revolution, but drawings and engravings show that 24 bronze figures (identified through coats of arms and inscriptions as the various descendants of the first two dukes of Burgundy) were set in niches along the sides of the black stone sarcophagus on which the three bronze figures rested. Jacques de Gérines was paid the huge sum of ...