(b Sydney, Sept 10, 1939).
Australian architect and writer. He graduated in architecture at the University of Sydney in 1962, began a private practice with Ian McKay (1963–6) and won a number of major awards. The firm of Philip Cox & Associates was established in 1967, and Cox developed a substantial interest in conservation and in Australian architectural history, with publications from 1968. These reflected his interest in the Australian vernacular, although they sometimes resorted to nostalgic stereotyping in the manner of his first co-author, Professor J. M. Freeland.
Cox’s early executed designs, for example the C. B. Alexander Agricultural College (1964), Tocal, New South Wales, combined the natural materials, earthy colours and textures of the Sydney ‘nuts and berries’ school (see Sydney school) with vernacular elements such as verandahs. He rebuilt Cadman’s Cottage (1972), Sydney, a work criticized by specialist conservationists, and he was involved in a major restoration programme on the early 19th-century buildings of Norfolk Island from ...