Show Summary Details

Page of

 Printed from Grove Art Online. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 18 September 2019

Champanerlocked

  • R. N. Mehta

Extract

Ruined fortified city 125 km south-east of Ahmadabad in Gujarat, India. The site was occupied by the Solanki kings during the 10th–13th centuries ad. On the summit of Pavagadh Hill, the site of the later fortress, are the remains of Jaina temples and a Shiva temple (late 10th century to early 11th) containing several sculptures of Lakulisha, founder of the Pashupata sect. A local Rajput clan, the Chahamana, took over the site in 1297 and remained there until 1485, when it was captured by the Sultan of Gujarat, Mahmud Bigara (reg 1458–1511), who made the town his new capital. The town prospered only until 1535, when it was sacked by the Mughal emperor Humayun (reg 1530–40, 1555–6); in the following year the capital was moved back to Ahmadabad. From the beginning of the 17th century the city was essentially in ruins.

The site as a whole has two parts, the hill fortress and the city below, the latter extending over an area of several sq. km. All that remains of the city is a scattering of small mosques and tombs. One of the more elaborate examples is the Nagina Masjid (...

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.