- David Walker
(b Glasgow, March 31, 1857; d Colinton, Edinburgh, July 2, 1938).
Scottish architect. The son of the Glasgow architect John Burnet (1814–1900), he was a Beaux-Arts-trained classicist who became a modernist. Encouraged by R. Phené Spiers (1838–1916) to study at the Atelier Jean-Louis Pascal, Paris, during his time there (1875–7) he formed life-long friendships with Pascal and Henri-Paul Nénot. The first building wholly to his design was the Glasgow Fine Art Institute (1878–80, destr.), followed by the Clyde Navigation Trust (1883), Robertson Street, Glasgow, the Edinburgh International Exhibition building and the Glasgow Athenaeum, St George’s Place (both 1886). All four were pure Beaux-Arts designs in which sculpture played an important role, the first two being Greco-Renaissance, the third a variant of the design by Léopold Hardy (1829-94) for the Exposition Universelle of 1878 in Paris, and the fourth a highly simplified Roman.
In 1886 another Pascal pupil, John Archibald Campbell (...