- Jean-Michel Leniaud
(b Rouen, Oct 13, 1799; d Rouen, May 31, 1882).
French architect . His was one of the first generations of French architects to take a serious interest in the art of the Middle Ages, a development led by scholars in Normandy. Like most architects of his time, he was trained by analysing historic monuments, in his case concentrating on making drawings (1838–40) of the churches of Rouen and the cathedrals of Amiens, Reims, Rouen and Coutances. He owed his immediate fame to the building of the basilica of Notre-Dame du Bonsecours (1840–42) at Blosseville, near Rouen, the first large-scale French church in an archaeologically correct 13th-century Gothic Revival style. In 1844 he built the funerary chapel at the Château du Plessis at Bouquelon, near Pont-Audemer, with stained glass by Henri Gérente (d 1849) and sculptures by Jean Dusseigneur, and a modest church at les Petits-Vents. Recommended to the clergy by the Abbé Cochet, a well-known scholar of Normandy, Barthélemy then partially or completely rebuilt about 50 churches, mostly in Normandy, including those at Bar-sur-Aube, Beuzeval, Brionne, Blanzy, Bernay, Caudebec-lès-Elbeuf and Oissel. In ...