You are looking at  1-20 of 1,554 results  for:

  • Medieval Art x
  • Architecture and Urban Planning x
Clear All

Article

Alexandra Wedgwood

In 

Article

Article

Italian, 16th century, male.

Born c. 1495, in Vercelli.

Engraver.

A pupil of the distinguished Roman architect Antonio da Sangallo, Antonio dell'Abacco soon gained a reputation to rival that of his teacher. In 1558 he published an important work entitled: Libro d'Antonio d'Abacco, appartenante a l'architectura...

Article

Italian, 16th century, male.

Active at the end of the 16th and at the beginning of the 17th centuries.

Born in Rome.

Painter.

Son of the line engraver Mario dell'Abacco, and grandson of the architect Antonio dell'Abacco, Antonio di Mario dell'Abacco's work is not known but his name appears, followed by the title of painter, in records of ...

Article

Gordon Campbell

Article

German, 15th century, male.

Active in Nuremberg.

Stonemason, sculptor.

Nuremberg School.

Heinrich Abschrot became a citizen of Nuremberg in 1415.

Article

Peter Grossmann

[Abū Mīnā]

Site of a Christian city and pilgrimage centre in the Maryūt Desert, c. 45 km south-west of Alexandria, Egypt. It grew up around the shrine of St Menas, who was martyred during the persecution of the Christians instigated by Diocletian (reg 285–305). The ancient name of the site is not known, and the position of the saint’s grave had been long forgotten until, according to legend, several miracle cures led to its rediscovery. The place then quickly developed into an increasingly major centre of pilgrimage where, among other things, the so-called Menas ampules were manufactured as pilgrim flasks and achieved particular renown. The first excavations of the site were undertaken by Kaufmann in 1905–7. Further excavations have been directed successively by the Coptic Museum in Cairo (1951), Schläger (1963 and 1964), Wolfgang Müller-Wiener (1965–7) and Peter Grossmann (since 1969).

The earliest archaeological remains date to the late 4th century, although the grave itself was in an older hypogeum. The first martyrium basilica erected over the grave dates to the first half of the 5th century and was rapidly enlarged by various reconstructions and extensions. Around the turn of the 5th and 6th centuries, the Great Basilica was added to the east in the form of a transept-basilica, making it the largest church in Egypt (...

Article

Italian, 14th century, male.

Active in Orvieto in 1345.

Sculptor, designer of ornamental architectural features.

Article

Italian, 13th century, male.

Activec.1295.

Born in Brescia.

Painter, draughtsman, architect.

Article

French, 16th century, male.

Born c. 1513, in Jargeau (Loiret).

Sculptor, architect.

Michel Adam spent time in Italy. Some biographers claim that he was a student of Michelangelo. He was certainly influenced by the Florentine master. On returning to France he settled in Orléans and was one of the many artists who contributed to the building of the 'Petits Logis' (mansions) that are one of the city's attractions....

Article

Italian, 12th century, male.

Sculptor, architect.

According to an inscription, this artist worked on the columns of the crypt of S Zeno, Verona.

Article

British, 16th century, male.

Born 1540, in London; died 1595, in London.

Architect, draughtsman, engraver.

Robert Adams was a talented man and his competence earned him the position of architect to Queen Elizabeth I of England. A series of rare engravings by Augustus Ryther, based on Adams' drawings, was published in ...

Article

A. Gerhardt

Benedictine abbey on the River Enns in Styria, Austria. It was founded in the mid-11th century by Bishop Gebhard from Salzburg, endowed by St Henna von Gurk, Gräfin von Friessach (d 1045), and settled by Benedictine monks from St Peter’s, Salzburg under Abbot Isingrin. The Romanesque minster (consecrated 1074), which was dedicated to St Blaise, was famous for its marble columns and was rebuilt after a fire in 1152; a Gothic choir was added in 1276–86. The present church incorporates Romanesque side doors as well as other fragments. The abbey became an important cultural centre with a renowned scriptorium. Amongst the many famous scholars there was Abbot Engelbert of Admont (reg 1297–1327). From 1121 to the 16th century a convent was attached to the abbey. Under the abbots Mathias Preininger (reg 1615–28) and Urban Weber (reg 1628–59) the whole establishment was transformed in the Baroque style, and the church was rebuilt (...

Article

French, 16th century, male.

Active in Normandy at the beginning of the 16th century.

Sculptor, designer of ornamental architectural features.

Gaillon School.

In 1507 Adrian du Trait produced various pieces of furniture for the Château de Gaillon, which belonged to the cardinal of Amboise.

Article

Flemish, 15th century, male.

Activec.1496.

Painter, designer of ornamental architectural features.

Flemish School.

Adrian van Peghem painted coats of arms and banners.

Article

T. I. Zeymal’

Buddhist monastery of the 7th century ad to first half of the 8th, in the valley of the Vakhsh River, 12 km east of Kurgan-Tyube, southern Tajikistan. During this early medieval period it belonged to Vakhsh (U-sha in Chinese sources), one of the 27 domains of Tokharistan. Excavations between 1960 and 1975 by the Academy of Sciences, Tajikistan, and the Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, exposed the entire site; most of the finds are on loan to the Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg. The buildings, which covered an area of 100×50 m, were constructed of mud-bricks (c. 490×250×110 mm) and rammed earth, with walls surviving to a height of 5.5 to 6.0 m. The site comprised two square complexes linked by an enfilade of three rooms (see fig. (a)). The south-eastern complex or monastery (b) had domed cells (c) for monks, a hall or refectory (d), service quarters, store-rooms and a small sanctuary (e). An open courtyard in the centre had a fired brick path across it, linking the enfilade to the sanctuary. A corridor around the perimeter of the courtyard was divided into four right-angled sections by a deep iwan, or vestibule, in the middle of each side. One of these vestibules led into the sanctuary, the second into the meeting-hall, the third into the enfilade and the fourth to the monastery exit (j) and also on to a vaulted ramp (k) that originally gave access to the roof and the now lost second storey....

Article

Margaret Lyttleton

Columnar niche or shrine applied decoratively to a larger building. The word is a diminutive from the Latin word aedes (‘temple’). Summerson traced its application to Gothic architecture and drew attention to the importance of playing at being in a house for all small children; he claimed that this kind of play has much to do with the aesthetics of architecture and leads ultimately to the use of the aedicula. The earliest surviving examples of aediculae are shop-signs from Pompeii, such as that showing Mercury or Hermes emerging from a small building. Later aediculae appear extensively in wall paintings of the Fourth Style (c. ad 20–c. 90; see Rome, ancient §V 2.). Later still, aediculae were often used in the architecture of the eastern provinces of the Roman Empire; they consisted of columns or pilasters flanking a niche for statuary, with a pediment above, as in the stage-building of the theatre at ...

Article

Flemish, 16th century, male.

Active in Amsterdam in 1553.

Died 1575.

Painter, draughtsman. Architectural views, church interiors.

Flemish School.

Hendrick Aerts painted and decorated church interiors, one of which was engraved by J. Londerseel.

London, 1 Dec 1978: Interior of an Imaginary Cathedral during a Procession...

Article

Swiss, 15th – 16th century, male.

Active in Fribourg from 1498 to 1509.

Sculptor, engraver (stone), architect.

Gylian Aetterli worked in the funerary chapel of St Nicholas in Fribourg, and in 1501 sculpted the baptismal font for the church at Guin in the canton of Fribourg....

Article

Italian, 16th century, male.

Active from 1511 to 1540.

Born in Sassoferrato (Ancona); died, in Cupramontana (Ancona).

Painter, sculptor, architect. Religious subjects.

Many of Pietro Paolo Agabiti's paintings decorate the churches of his native town. Santa Maria del Piano has a Virgin with St Catherine and St John the Baptist...