1-2 of 2 results  for:

  • Sculpture and Carving x
  • Eighteenth-Century Art x
  • Ceramics and Pottery x
Clear all

Article

(b Bruges, April 1, 1698; d Bruges, Feb 17, 1781).

Flemish sculptor, architect and potter. He was probably first trained in his father’s carpenter’s workshop; in 1715 he was registered in Bruges as a master carpenter. He then worked with the Ghent sculptor Jan Boecksent (1660–1727), who had been assigned to decorate the Récolets church in Bruges and who was involved in the creation of the academy of Bruges. In 1722 Pulinx was appointed sculptor and decorator of municipal works, and in 1724 he became a member of a confraternity of painters that arose from the dissolution of the academy. During that period Pulinx worked mainly in wood, creating chiefly ecclesiastical furnishings, including some beautiful pulpits in the Watervleit church (1726) and in the Church of St Walburga at Furnes and the Heilig Bloedbaziliek at Bruges (both 1728). During the following decade he seems to have worked exclusively as an architect; among his works were his own house, In den Keerseboom (...

Article

José Meco

(bapt Elvas, May 5, 1700; d ?Oporto).

Portuguese decorative artist and designer. In 1723 he was living in Lisbon; in 1727 he was living in Oporto. He was first known in 1727 as designer of carved and gilded wooden retables for the cathedral of Oporto (destr.) and of the retable (1729) in the chapel of Nossa Senhora da Purificação, church of the College of S Lourenço, Oporto, a monumental Baroque work that fills one end of the transept. In 1734 Rifarto painted in Coimbra the blue and white glazed tiles for the upper storey of the cloister of the cathedral of Oporto and those for the registry of the chapter house (1733), which are of Classical and genre subjects, as well as religious scenes, framed with elaborate High Baroque borders. The panels, composed of medallions with sculptural motifs and Baroque ornament, in the sanctuary of the church of Azurara, Vila do Conde, date from ...