About Grove Art Online
Grove Art Online is the foremost scholarly art encyclopedia, covering both Western and non-Western art. First published as the landmark 34-volume Dictionary of Art, edited by Jane Turner, the content of Grove Art encompasses all aspects of visual culture. It features articles about topics as varied as Fauvism and Frida Kahlo, bibliographies for further research, and thousands of searchable images made available through Oxford’s partnerships with museums, galleries, and other outstanding arts organizations. Grove Art is a living resource, with scholars and specialists from around the world continually reviewing and updating existing content and contributing new articles. In addition to the vast number of entries on the visual arts, Grove Art features a host of exceptional learning resources that organize the content for use in art and art history classrooms, making Grove Art an essential source for scholars and students alike.
Those who subscribe to both Grove Art Online and the Benezit Dictionary of Artists are able to cross-search the two resources simultaneously, making Oxford Art Online the preeminent gateway to online art reference resources.
Read the Letter from the Editor, March 2017
Read the Letter from the Editor, July 2013
Hear more about Grove Art Online, as told by its Editor in Chief, authors, and users:
Key Features of Grove Art Include:
- Over 45,000 signed articles and images on every aspect of the visual arts
- Over 15,000 subject entries and over 22,000 biographies, contributed by nearly 7,000 international scholars – all with bibliographies for further research
- Nearly 7,000 searchable images from such outstanding organizations as the Metropolitan Museum of Art, as well as 40,000 editorially selected image links to museums and galleries, provide essential visual support for art history scholarship
- Learning resources including subject guides, timelines, and resources for educators designed by the Museum of Modern Art (New York)
- Content updated three times per year to reflect the latest scholarship, with new articles and images, revised articles, additions to bibliographies, and corrections
Other highly acclaimed art reference works included with a subscription to Grove Art:
Editorial Board and Policies
Grove Art has an editorial board of distinguished art historians who guide the development of new content, and an advisory board of art historians, art librarians, and art experts who advise on functional enhancements and the needs of existing and emerging users of the resource.