In 2017, you'll notice some improvements to Oxford Art Online, including a fresh look and feel, improved search capabilities, and even more frequent updates to the content. Contact us with any questions or comments.
Betty Tompkins: Censored Grid #13, pencil and ink on paper, 17x14", 2008 (left) and Censored Grid #14, pencil and ink on paper, 17x14", 2008 (right)
Listen to Benezit Editor-in-Chief Dr. Kathy Battista interview artist Betty Tompkins as part of the Oxford Comment podcast series. This podcast explores Tompkins’ early experiences as a young artist in New York in the 1970s, her recent work and artistic process, and issues of censorship, feminism, and art in the age of social media.
Art History Research Starts Here
Oxford Art Online is the gateway to multiple trusted online art reference resources that serve students, scholars, curators, and collectors alike. It is anchored by two major resources with complementary strengths—Grove Art and Benezit. Subscribers to both can cross-search them simultaneously.
View our free subject guides for Grove and Benezit
Grove Art Online
- The unsurpassed authority on all aspects of the visual arts
- Over 45,000 signed articles and images
- Over 15,000 subject entries and over 22,000 biographies, contributed by nearly 7,000 international scholars – all with bibliographies for further research
- Over 7,000 searchable images as well as 40,000 editorially selected image links to museums and galleries.
- Content updated three times a year with new articles and images, revised articles, and additions to bibliographies.
- Tools for navigating content include subject guides, timelines, and resources for educators designed by MoMA
Benezit Dictionary of Artists
- A landmark reference work covering the lives and careers of both obscure and acclaimed artists
- Nearly 170,000 entries covering a wide range of artists from antiquity to the present day
- More than 11,000 images of artists’ signatures, monograms, and stamps of sale
- Auction records, museum holdings, and bibliographies for further research
- Content updated three times a year with new entries, revised entries, and additions to bibliographies and auction records.
Additional highly acclaimed resources included with a Grove or Benezit subscription:
Oxford Art Online has partnered with Art UK, the online home for art in UK public collections. This resource features over 200,000 oil paintings from more than 3,000 locations. UK public library card holders can gain free access to OAO and other Oxford sites via Art UK, linking directly from artist pages to full biographies on OAO.