El Greco: Laocoön, oil on canvas, 54 1/8 x 67 15/16in. (137.5 x 172.5cm), 1610–14 (Washington, DC, National Gallery of Art, Samuel H. Kress Collection, Accession ID: 1946.18.1); courtesy National Gallery of Art, Washington
Art History Research Starts Here
Oxford Art Online is the gateway to multiple trusted online art reference resources that serve students, scholars, curators, and collectors alike. It is anchored by two major resources with complementary strengths—Grove Art Online and Benezit. Subscribers to both can cross-search them simultaneously.
Vincent van Gogh: The man and the artist
Celebrate the extraordinary life of Vincent van Gogh, who died 125 years ago this year, with our new companion site featuring content from Oxford Art Online.
Grove Art Online
- The unsurpassed authority on all aspects of the visual arts
- Over 45,000 signed articles and images
- Over 15,000 subject entries and over 22,000 biographies, contributed by nearly 7,000 international scholars – all with bibliographies for further research
- Over 7,000 searchable images as well as 40,000 editorially selected image links to museums and galleries
- Content updated three times a year with new articles and images, revised articles, and additions to bibliographies.
- Tools for navigating content include subject guides, timelines, and resources for educators designed by MoMA
Benezit Dictionary of Artists
- A landmark reference work covering the lives and careers of both obscure and acclaimed artists
- Nearly 170,000 entries covering a wide range of artists from antiquity to the present day
- More than 11,000 images of artists’ signatures, monograms, and stamps of sale
- Auction records, museum holdings, and bibliographies for further research
- Content updated three times a year with new entries, revised entries, and additions to bibliographies and auction records.
Additional highly acclaimed resources included with a Grove or Benezit subscription: