1-13 of 13 results  for:

  • Archaeology x
  • 1500–1600 x
Clear all

Article

Algarve  

Kirk Ambrose

Southern-most region of mainland Portugal. Its name is derived from ‘the West’ in Arabic. This region has relatively few medieval buildings: devastating earthquakes in 1722 and 1755 contributed to these losses, though many buildings were deliberately destroyed during the Middle Ages. For example, in the 12th century the Almoravids likely razed a pilgrimage church, described in Arabic sources, at the tip of the cape of S Vicente. Mosques at Faro, Silves and Tavira, among others, appear to have been levelled to make room for church construction after the Reconquest of the region, completed in ...

Article

Awatovi  

E. Charles Adams

Site in North America, in north-eastern Arizona. A Hopi village was established there by c. ad 1250 and destroyed in 1700. During excavations (1935–9) by the Peabody Museum, Harvard University, almost 150 wall paintings were discovered in 11 kivas (subterranean ceremonial structures; ...

Article

Ayodhya  

B. B. Lal

City in Faizabad District, Uttar Pradesh, India. Located on the right bank of the River Sarayu, it was the capital of the ancient Kosala kingdom, one of whose kings, Rama, is regarded by Hindus as an incarnation of Vishnu.

Excavations in 17 different parts of the ancient mounds have revealed that the first occupation at Ayodhya commenced ...

Article

Bam  

Abbas Daneshvari

Town in the province of Kirman, southern Iran, on an important route skirting the southern fringes of the Dasht-i Lut Desert. The old walled city was founded in the Sasanian period (ad 224–632) and flourished until the 18th century; its ruins stand 0.5 km east of the present town of Bam, founded in ...

Article

Italian, 16th century, male.

Active in Paduac.1550.

Painter, architect, archaeologist.

Alessandro Bassano supplied drawings for the decoration of the Sala dei Giganti of the old town hall in Padua; the actual decoration was done by Campagnola and other Italian artists.

Paris, 25 Nov 1925...

Article

Delia Kottmann

Italian village in Lazio, north of Rome, known for its church. The church of SS Anastasius and Nonnosus is all that remains of the 6th-century Benedictine monastery, which submitted to Cluny in ad 940. Apart from some re-used fragments, the architecture is Romanesque, with a ...

Article

R. Nagaswamy

Temple site in Tamil Nadu, India, sacred to Shiva in his form as Nataraja, the Cosmic Dancer. The Nataraja temple occupies an area of about 16 ha and consists of a complex series of walled enclosures containing shrines, halls and gateways built between the 12th and 20th centuries. The temple’s origin is ascribed to the sages Vyagrapada and Patanjali, and it has become associated with Appar and other southern saints. The ...

Article

José Alcina Franch

Pre-Columbian city that flourished c. ad 1450–1540, 28 km (by road) north of Cuzco, Peru; excavated by José Alcina between 1968 and 1970. The town centre is on a high plateau, 3720 m above sea level, near Lake Piuray on the old road from Cuzco to the Yucay Valley. Chinchero was ‘founded’ as an Inca imperial city at the beginning of the reign of Tupac Inca Yupanqui (...

Article

Gotland  

Axel Bolvig

Largest island in the Baltic Sea and a province and municipality of Sweden that also includes Fårö, Gotska Sandön and Karlsö islands. The history and economic importance of Gotland is connected to its central position in the Baltic Sea. Culturally it has been compared with Rhodes, Crete and Sicily. Archaeological evidence dating from as early as the 1st millennium ...

Article

Italian, 16th – 17th century, male.

Born c. 1560, in Bologna; died 7 January 1623, in Rome.

Priest, archaeologist, draughtsman.

Appointed notary to the Pope and archivist of St Peter's in 1581, Jacopo Grimaldi wrote documents that have never been published in which he described the restoration, destruction or relocation of the art works of Christian Rome. These writings were decorated with pen drawings that were mainly his own work. The first document is dated ...

Article

Ye. V. Zeymal’

Site in Tajikistan, 25 km west of Dushanbe above the confluence of the Khanaka River and the Kafirnigan River. The pisé walls of the fortress, arched gateways and flanking towers of fired brick, two madrasas and the nearby mosque date from the 16th–19th century, when the fortress was the residence of the Hissar bek. Excavations (...

Article

George Michell

Town and temple site in Anantapur District, Andhra Pradesh, India. The Virabhadra temple at Lepakshi was constructed by two brothers who served as governors under Achyutadeva Raya (reg 1530–42) of the Vijayanagara dynasty. The temple is built on an uneven outcrop of granite and is surrounded by two enclosures. The outer enclosure, lined by colonnades and carrying numerous inscriptions, is roughly rectangular in plan and has three entrances. The inner enclosure, laid out approximately in a square, is entered on the north and south through two ...

Article

John S. Isaacson and Trent Barnes

Military installation (and possibly ceremonial centre) of the Pre-Columbian Inca period in Pinchincha Province, Ecuador. It is sited on a small hill at the confluence of two streams draining into the Río Guayllabamba, a few kilometres to the north. Although the site was severely damaged through centuries of looting for building materials, careful excavation and reconstruction (Almeida and Jara) have provided significant information about the architecture and occupational history at the site. There has been speculation that the site was constructed prior to the arrival of the Inca in northern Ecuador. However, excavation produced no evidence of pre-Inca occupation. All artefacts in the local ‘...